Wind River Virtualisation
Get More from Your Silicon
Wind River® is uniquely qualified to help you master the opportunities for creating far more efficient and flexible embedded computing environments for building the next generation of smart, connected devices, systems, and networks.
Wind River offers the industry’s most comprehensive embedded virtualisation development portfolio. Our solutions support multiple architectures, including Intel®, Power, ARM®, and MIPS. All our products are backed by outstanding professional services and customer support, hardware integration expertise, and a thriving partner ecosystem.
Wind River can help you harness the many benefits of embedded virtualisation.
Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) reduce operating and capital expenses (OPEX and CAPEX) through application and hardware consolidation, space and power reduction, and improved operational and support efficiencies.
- Lower hardware costs.
- Consolidate network equipment.
- Implement multi-tenancy.
- Shorten development and test cycles.
- Improve operational efficiencies.
- Reduce energy consumption.
Service Revenue Opportunities
- Boost innovation.
- Deploy services faster.
- Target services by geography.
Reduce the number, size, weight, and power demands of multiple applications by consolidating disparate functionalities onto one shared, common hardware platform.
Wind River embedded virtualisation customers realise the following benefits of consolidation:
- Reduced cost of goods sold
- Reduced device size, weight, and power (SWaP)
- Reduced power consumption
- Increased CPU performance
- Ease of migration to multi-core CPUs
Increase the speed and functionality of your systems while decreasing the power requirements.
The following are examples of how embedded virtualisation can boost performance:
- Network packet acceleration: Embedded virtualisation helps developers leverage multi-core processing to achieve higher performance and throughput to deliver a better overall quality of experience.
- Media and data processing: Multi-core processors have created new opportunities for embedded developers to create products that leapfrog previous generations in how they handle intensive computing and throughput demands from media streaming or big data analytics.
- Energy management: Multi-core and power management technology has vastly improved the battery life of handheld devices while dramatically improving performance per watt.
Safety and Security
Our embedded virtualisation solution is safety certifiable to levels conforming to IEC 61508 or its derivatives. It can segregate mission-critical subsystems into certified partitions, while non-mission-critical subsystems can be separated and isolated into non-certified partitions.
The following are some advantages of certifiable embedded virtualisation partitioning:
- Reduced certification costs
- Separate safety-related code
- Partial certification of an application
- Addition of new functionality without recertification costs and efforts
Migration to New Platforms
By porting unmodified legacy applications into embedded virtualised partitions, device manufacturers can retain their software investment and leverage inexpensive general-purpose operating systems.
Migration with embedded virtualisation lets you do the following:
- Migrate existing proven software assets, as is, to new hardware.
- Leverage new operating system features.
- Use the same base images for different generations of hardware.