RTI Connext DDS Professional – Fast, Scalable, and Resilient Software Connectivity Platform
Fast, Scalable, and Resilient Software Connectivity Platform
RTI Connext® DDS Professional is a connectivity platform designed for the demanding requirements of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). It delivers low-latency and real-time QoS for monitoring and controlling physical-world processes. It provides non-stop availability and security essential for mission-critical systems. It also complies with the Data Distribution Service (DDS) standard to foster interoperability and an open architecture, slashing lifecycle costs.
Connext DDS includes a rich set of connectivity capabilities optimised for IIoT systems.
- Messaging libraries simplify distributed application development with high-level APIs for publish-subscribe, request-reply, and point-to-point queues.
- An adapter framework with customisable examples eases integration of unmodified existing applications and devices.
- Powerful tools accelerate system integration, testing, and debugging.
Connext DDS is designed to address the performance, scale, and resilience requirements of the IIoT. Its architecture is completely decentralised. Applications automatically discover each other and communicate peer-to-peer, thus avoiding the need for centralised message brokers, services, or servers. This makes it easy to embed and deploy while eliminating bottlenecks and single points of failure.
Connext DDS is well-suited to incremental adoption. It provides a scalable, reliable and secure integration bus that connects new and existing assets. For new applications – such as analytics – it presents a unified API that decouples application logic from device-specific interfaces, protocols and data models. It also allows you to take advantage of fog computing and easily move applications between the cloud and edge.
Features and Benefits
Data-Centric IIoT Connectivity Platform
Connext DDS simplifies application and integration logic with a data-centric connectivity paradigm. Instead of exchanging messages, software components share data objects. Applications operate (create, read, update, and delete) directly on these objects. Developers do not have to deal with low-level messaging or networking interfaces. Connext DDS handles the details of data distribution and management, including serialisation and lifecycle management.
Connext DDS provides for data in motion what a database provides for data at rest:
- Decoupling – Data producers are agnostic to the number of consumers and the type of processing they do. This allows components to be added and changed without affecting those that are already deployed.
- Easy integration – The interfaces in a system, as defined by the data model, are explicit and discoverable. Integration requires no knowledge of a component’s implementation and you do not need to reverse engineer protocols and messages.
- Robustness – Connext DDS maintains a system’s shared state, providing a single source of truth. Late and re-joining applications automatically synchronise with the current state. This ensures applications have a consistent world view even in dynamic and large-scale environments.
Connext DDS is a completely decentralised software data bus. Data is cached in each application. Updates are published peer-to-peer to subscribing components. Applications can receive asynchronous update notifications or poll for the latest value as needed.
Enterprise Integration Patterns
Connext DDS supports all of the fundamental communication patterns used in the IIoT. In addition to data-centric publish-subscribe for distributing streaming data and asynchronous events, it offers request-reply for controlling and managing devices and an optional Queuing Service for transaction processing and load balancing. This eliminates the need to adopt and integrate different technologies for each of these requirements, reduces integration costs, and simplifies administration.
DDS Compliance and Interoperability
Connext DDS complies with the Object Management Group (OMG) Data Distribution Service (DDS) for Real-Time Systems standard. It supports both the DDS application programming interface (API) and network interoperability protocol (DDSI-RTPS).
The DDS messaging standard has been designed specifically to meet the requirements of timing-critical systems. It can deliver over 50 times the performance of IT standards such as JMS, MQTT, AMQP, XMPP and Web Services. For applications with demanding requirements, DDS is often the only standards-compliant alternative to proprietary or custom integration approaches.
Industrial Grade Performance and Reliability
Connext DDS implements reliable multicast for scalable one-to-many and many-to-many data distribution. Messages only have to be sent over the network once, regardless of the number of subscribers. The product includes an optional multicast reliability protocol optimised for real-time behaviour.