ASIS for GNAT – Ada Semantic Analysis
ASIS, the Ada Semantic Interface Specification, is a library that gives applications access to the complete syntactic and semantic structure of an Ada compilation unit. This library is typically used by tools that need to perform some sort of static analysis on an Ada program.
ASIS is an international standard (ISO/IEC 15291:1995) and is designed to be compiler independent, thus a tool that processes the ASIS representation of a program will work regardless of which ASIS implementation has been used. ASIS-for-GNAT is AdaCore’s implementation of the ASIS standard, for use with the GNAT Pro Ada development environment and toolset.
AdaCore can assist customers in developing ASIS-based tools to meet their specific needs, as well as develop such tools for them upon request.
Typical ASIS-for-GNAT applications include:
- Static Analysis (property verification)
- Code Instrumentation
- Design and Document Generation Tools
- Metric Testing or Timing Tools
- Dependency Tree Analysis Tools
- Type Dictionary Generators
- Coding Standards Enforcement Tools
- Language Translators (e.g., to CORBA IDL)
- Quality Assessment Tools
- Source Browsers and Formatters
- Syntax Directed Editors